Friday 14 February 2014

Valentine's Raw Cake


Happy Valentine's, guys and girls! I don't actually celebrate Valentine's Day but I'm all about the love so I decided to create a yummy recipe - what better than a raw-vegan cake? I have been a vegetarian for almost 2 years now and have a keen interest in the raw-vegan lifestyle.

I love making and creating recipes and I'm always amazed by the endless possibilities you are given by this type of cuisine - it's also quicker and a ton healthier. I called this beauty "Tropical Love". You can see the end result right below and if you're curious about how I made it and maybe want to give it a try, click "Read More" to find out.


 
You'll see below a list of ingredients that you will need for the cake. Remember, you can always switch things up and make this recipe yours; for example, if you don't have psyllium husk (it thickens the texture, acting like a natural jelly and is, by the way, a great means of fiber; more on it here) you can add soaked caju nuts and coconut oil which will give the composition a creamier texture. If you don't have a pineapple, you can make a kiwi and oranges filling or whatever you have lying around! Also, the topping can be changed: say you're not concerned with it being an entirely raw cake - simply melt some chocolate instead of the raw cocoa liquor and honey mixture. If you do decide to go your way and want tips or more details on quantities, simply ask in a comment and I'd be happy to help!


With the ingredients in mind, let's move on to the "how to" part:

1. From the almonds, make almond flower using a blender. Also blend the half banana with the honey. You can then mix all the ingredients for the crust until you get a cookie dough kind of texture. You can add more honey or agave nectar if you want it sweeter.

2. Shape the dough into a heart. Unfortunately, I didn't have a heart shaped cake spring form with removable bottom so I had to it by hand, but if you have one of those, you're all set! An important step is to lift the cake's margins so it can incorporate the filling. Put the cake away in the fridge.

3. Blend the pineapple and one Tbsp of honey/agave syrup, set in a bowl, then add the psyllium husk. Put the filling away in the fridge.

4 and 5. Remove the cake crust and filling from the fridge. Place one half of the filling into a half of the heart. Add cocoa powder and the other Tbsp of honey/agave syrup to the remaining filling and place it in the other half of the heart.

6. With a tbsp, spread the topping on the entire cake, including the margins. Let it cool in the fridge for about 15 minutes. For the topping/frosting simply melt the cocoa liquor in bain-marie (you can also use raw cocoa butter+raw cocoa powder instead of the liquor) and add the honey/agave syrup and set aside so it will cool at room temperature.


Remove from the pan and decorate it with whatever you have lying around - seeds, bits of fruit, coconut flakes; I used dehydrated cranberries and the tiny heart in the middle is made out of grapefruit pulp mixed with honey and psyllium. Here's how it looks sliced:


So that's it guys! Hope you like my recipe and if you do consider making it, ask me anything! Have a great day, lots of hugs!



7 comments:

  1. Wow...looking yummy...Happy valentine's Day dear...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I hope you have a great day even if you don't celebrate Valentine's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mm the cake looks so, so yummy & it is in such a sweet heart shape! :) I think I will try this recipe when the occasion will come, therefore big thanks for sharing it with us! :)
    How come you don't celebrate Valentine's day, sweetie?

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo this is so adorable and yummy- i'd LOVE if i got this for valentine's day ;)

    xo marlen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so yummy! I may have to make this the next time I bake!<3

    lameyy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy cake :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me wonderful comments my friends - I read and appreciate all of them + will gladly check out your lovely blogs! Liana x